Government Operations, Oversight, and Consumer Affairs
The Government Operations, Oversight & Consumer Affairs Committee has broad oversight responsibility for the federal government’s regulatory and information collection processes, as well as the procedural operation of government agencies and consumer affairs. The committee is also responsible for developing and carrying out policy on regulatory process reform, regulatory review, and other proposals directed at taming the growth and reducing the burden of federal regulations (including regulatory flexibility, paperwork reduction, regulatory accountability and cost/benefit legislation). Another primary function is to complement other Chamber policy committees -- deferring to the substantive expertise of others, in providing another avenue for ensuring that the proper review processes are followed, and that federal regulatory activities are necessary and the least burdensome alternatives for implementing federal regulations are adopted. It also monitors the oversight activities of Congress.
Harry Alford, President & CEO, National Black Chamber of Commerce chairs this committee.
Visit the NEW Regulatory Process & Administrative Law Reading Room HERE!
- February 8, 2013: Request to OMB for Extension of Information Collection Comment Period in Connection with FDA Preventive Controls Rule
- February 8, 2013: Request to OMB for Extension of Information Collection Comment Period in Connection with FDA Produce Safety Rule
- September 12, 2012: IQA Petition – Request for Correction: “Drinking Water: Regulatory Determination on Perchlorate”
- September 20, 2012: Regulation Nation: The Obama Administration's Regulatory Expansion vs. Jobs and Economic Recovery
- June 28, 2012: Mandate Madness: When Sue and Settle Just Isn't Enough
- June 27, 2012: Regulatory Flexibility Act Compliance: Is EPA Failing Small Businesses?
Letters to Congress & the Administration
- February 8, 2013: Letter supporting S.253, “A bill establishing the Committee to Reduce Government Waste”
- January 29, 2013: Letter supporting the “Regulatory Responsibility for our Economy Act of 2013”
- February 7, 2013: Hazed and Confused: Arizona Fights Anti-Coal Regional Haze Rules
- February 04, 2013: The Fourth Branch of Government
- February 1, 2013: A Primer on Judgment Funds (and Why You Should Care)
Special Reports and Studies
Other Chamber regulatory reform efforts can be found here.
- April 3, 2013: Government Operations, Oversight & Consumer Affairs Committee Spring Meeting 2013
- November 29, 2012: ETRA Joint Fall Meeting: The 2012 Election and What That Means for Your Business
- May 16, 2012: Government Operations, Oversight & Consumer Affairs Committee Spring Meeting 2012 - The Cost of Regulation to Business: Myths v. Facts
- March 22, 2011: Restoring Balance to the Regulatory Process
Daren Bakst, Policy Counsel
Environment, Technology & Regulatory Affairs Division