BUSINESS OUTLOOK: VIETNAM 2012/13
(The following are results from the ASEAN Economic Scorecard, the Chamber’s annual survey of US business perceptions of ASEAN’s business environment. The survey was done in cooperation with AmCham Singapore, and the results are based on 360 responses from executives across the ASEAN region.)
• 90% of respondents maintain a positive or very positive outlook for the ASEAN region as an investment opportunity for their companies.
Current Business Climate:
• Respondents facing significant financing constraints doubled from 19% in 2011 to 39% in 2012.
• A majority of respondents (62%) do not face higher costs of borrowing.
• 72% of respondents report that ASEAN markets have increased in importance to their companies in the past two years.
• Most respondents (76%) expect ASEAN importance to increase in the next two years.
Business Direction and Movement in ASEAN:
• 73% of respondents’ companies plan to expand in ASEAN.
• 57% expect a profit increase in 2012.
• 82% expect a profit increase in 2013.
• 58% expect a workforce increase in 2012.
• 52% expect an increase of 5 to 15%.
Strengths and Concerns for Doing Business in Vietnam:
|Major Strengths (% Satisfied)||Major Concerns (% Dissatisfied)|
|Personal security (78%)||Corruption (77%)|
|Sentiment towards the U.S. (68%)||Laws and Regulations (59%)|
|Stable government and political system (62%)||Infrastructure (57%)|
|Availability of low cost labor (55%)||Ease of moving products through customs (43%)|