Please use the following checklist to determine if you're ready to apply for accreditation.
- Is your chamber's mission statement clear and feasible?
- Is your chamber's organizational structure appropriate for your chamber's size and goals?
- Bylaws: Do they regulate the main areas of chamber management? Are they adequate for the laws of the state and the protection of both the organization and its members? Have they been shared with the board?
- Is each component of the organizational structure assigned to staff?
- Are term limits and job descriptions in place for the board of directors?
- Are board meetings held on a regular basis and minutes kept on file?
- Are proper committees and structure in place?
- Does your chamber meet generally accepted accounting principles?
- Is an annual operational budget in place and approved by the appropriate committee(s)?
- Does your chamber adhere to financial policies?
- Does your chamber maintain current financial statements?
- Does your chamber maintain liability insurance?
- Does your chamber maintain director and officer insurance?
- Does your chamber undergo a full financial audit annually?
- Does your chamber meet IRS and state filing requirements?
- Are distinct roles and job descriptions set up for volunteer leaders?
- Does the staff understand your chamber's mission and strategic goals?
- Is a policy and procedures manual or employee manual in place?
- Are employee benefits offered and communicated to employees?
- Do employee performance reviews occur at least annually?
- Has a systematic procedure in place to identify government affairs issues and determine position chamber's and course of action.
- Has fostered a direct relationship with state/federal officials.
- Actively monitors and shares local, regional, state, and US Chamber legislative and political affairs with membership.
- Has a dedicated government affairs staff.
- Has a dedicated government affairs budget.
- Established a grassroots network and has activated it over the past year.
- Activates a Get Out the Vote program.
- Develops a yearly legislative agenda, and distributes the agenda to membership.
- Does the chamber understand issues and needs important to all segments of the membership?
- Does the chamber collect member feedback at least annually?
- Does the chamber provide an annual report to its members?
- Has the chamber developed a strategic plan or business plan for the current year?
- Does the chamber understand the impending factors that will affect the chamber?
- Does the chamber have functioning telephone, computer, and mailing systems?
- Does the chamber keep its computer systems current and secure?
- Does the chamber use anti-virus software?
- Does the chamber have a membership database that can track membership information, dues, participation?
- Does the chamber back up data regularly?
- Does the chamber have a Web site that is updated regularly?
- Is the chamber's Web site registered on Web site search engines?
- Has the chamber developed a written communications and marketing plan with clear annual goals?
- Does the chamber use diverse forms of media to promote the chamber?
- Does the chamber contact members at least monthly?
- Does the chamber's Web site communicate general information about the chamber?
- Can the chamber communicate with members using mass-distribution e-mails?
- Does the chamber comply with federal CAN-SPAM requirements?
- Does the chamber issue press releases to local and regional media outlets?
- Does the chamber's facility project an appropriate business image, and is the facility accessible by the public?
- Does the chambers facility support the chamber’s communications and technology capabilities?
- Is the workplace kept neat, clean and free of potential safety hazards
- Is the workplace inspected annually by a safety professional?
- Does the chamber facility meet accepted OSHA regulations?
- Is a crisis plan in place?
- Are employees trained or educated about the crisis plan?
If you answered no to any of these questions, you are not ready to apply for accreditation.