Open Letter to Congress and President Obama
6 STEPS You Can Take to Create Millions of Jobs - Starting Now
Now that you are back in Washington, it's time to get to work so the 25 million Americans who are unemployed, underemployed, or have given up looking can find work.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce urges you to take these specific steps right now to spur faster job growth without adding to the deficit.
1. EXPAND TRADE AND GLOBAL COMMERCE. Pass the three pending free trade agreements with South Korea, Colombia, and Panama to save 380,000 jobs and add hundreds of thousands of new jobs. Completing export control reforms, spurring exports to Europe and Asia, and protecting intellectual property through patent reform and rogue sites legislation would create thousands of additional jobs.
2. PRODUCE MORE AMERICAN ENERGY. Open offshore resources in the Gulf of Mexico and Alaska and create 244,700 new jobs. Expand access to federal lands For oil and gas exploration and add 530,000 new jobs. Develop natural gas in the Marcellus Shale, as well as other resource-rids shale reserves, and add 116,000 new jobs in Pennsylvania alone by 2020. Approve the Keystone XL project, which would support 250,000 jobs.
3. SPEED UP INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS. Reauthorize the FAA and help keep 70,000 workers on the job. Pass a multi-year highway bill and water bill with adequate funding and create hundreds of thousands of jobs. Implement the Energy Savings Performance Contracts Program and create 35,000 jobs a year. Remove regulatory and permitting obstacles to 351 stalled energy projects and create 1.9 million jobs annually. Unlock $250 billion in global private capital for infrastructure and create even more jobs.
4. WELCOME TOURISTS AND BUSINESS VISITORS. Create 1.3 million jobs by restoring the U.S. share of the travel market to 2000 levels by promoting tourism. expanding the visa waiver program, and reforming the visa application process without compromising safety.
5. SPEED UP PERMITS AND PROVIDE REGULATORY CERTAINTY AND RELIEF. Take up to $1 trillion in accumulated private capital off the sidelines and into business expansion by eliminating uncertainty caused by burdensome regulations. Streamline and expedite the permitting process to get job-creating projects moving.
6. PASS TAX INCENTIVES THAT CREATE JOBS WHILE INCREASING REVENUES. Implement a repatriation holiday and generate 2.9 million jobs in two years. Temporarily reduce the capital gains tax rate on business to free up cash for hiring.
We stand ready to work with all stakeholders to put Americans back to work. So let's start here. Let's start now! Americans need action, not just talk.
For the full text of our letter and additional details on the CHAMBER'S 6 STEPS FOR JOB CREATION, visit uschamber.com/jobs