President and Chief Executive Officer
Welcome Message from the Chairman
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s U.S.-Japan Business Council (USJBC) is comprised of leading U.S. companies that place a high priority on doing business in Japan and is the primary U.S.-based business organization promoting stronger economic ties between the two countries. Our core mission is to advance U.S.-Japan business and government ties, to identify and expand new opportunities, and to facilitate growth across sectors including digital economy, energy and infrastructure, financial services, healthcare innovation, travel, tourism, and transportation.
The USJBC plays an essential role in fostering a cooperative and mutually beneficial U.S.-Japan economic relationship. Having lived and worked in Japan for several years during a pivotal time in my career, I am genuinely passionate about expanding business ties between our two nations. As chairman of the USJBC, I look forward to building on the long history of the Council. Further, I invite businesses of all sizes and sectors to join us with your vision, leadership, and international business experience to further the Council’s mission and expand two-way American business trade and investment with Japan.
Douglas L. Peterson is president and chief executive officer of S&P Global. He assumed chairmanship of the USJBC on October 27, 2020, following former USJBC chairman Mr. Chuck Robbins, Chairman and CEO of Cisco.
Chuck Robbins (Chairman Emeritus)
Chairman and CEO
Charles D. Lake II
President, Aflac InternationalChairman and Representative Director, Aflac Life Insurance Japan Ltd. Seiji KiyoharaExecutive Vice President, Regional President for AsiaAmerican Express Company Will Shaffer
President, Boeing JapanVice President, Boeing International
Alfonso "Chito" Zulueta
Myron A. Brilliant
Members (as of July 2021)
Eli Lilly and Company
MGM Resorts International
Chairman's Circle Benefits include:
- Seat on the Council's Board of Directors and priority access to Council's leadership;
- Leadership role in setting the strategic direction of the U.S.-Japan Business Council;
- Customized advocacy counsel to resolve trade and commercial issues with Japan;
- Opportunity to chair a sector-specific Working Group and set sector-specific advocacy goals;
- Priority invitations and leadership opportunities for briefings, bilateral meetings and conferences, and exclusive programs with senior Japanese and U.S. government officials; and
- All corporate membership benefits listed below.
Corporate Member Benefits include:
- Opportunities to engage in members-only events and trade missions;
- Input into Council policy position papers and reports;
- Participation in sector-specific working groups;
- Invitations to briefings, bilateral meetings and conferences;
- Increased visibility for company branding;
- Assistance with securing appointments for company executives visiting Japan; and,
- Networking through plenary meetings and briefings.
For information on joining the U.S.-Japan Business Council please contact Sonna Russo.