In today’s tough economy, businesses depend more than ever on having beneficial and trusted relationships with their customers. Thus, protecting sensitive, personally identifiable information from theft or illegal uses has been and will continue to be a top priority for the business community.
2016 U.S. Chamber Policy Priorities – Data Security/Breach Notification
Support enactment of a truly uniform federal standard for breach notification that is consistent with the best approaches in state law. To be workable and effective, any such legislation must recognize that both consumers and U.S. businesses are victims of crimes that give rise to a data breach. The legislation should contain carefully drafted provisions, including—but not limited to—preemption, liability, and enforcement.
- April 15, 2015 - Hill Letter Regarding the Data Security and Breach Notification Act
- April 14, 2015 - Hill Letter to Senate Supporting S. 754, the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act of 2015
- March 25, 2015 - Hill Letter to House E&C Regarding the Data Security and Breach Notification Act
- January 27, 2015 - Multi-Association Letter to House E&C Subcommittee Leadership Regarding Data Breach
- July 27, 2012 – Joint Association Letter to the U.S. Senate Opposing Amendments that Would Add Data Security, Breach Notification, or Commercial Provisions to S. 3414, the “Cybersecurity Act of 2012”
- June 28, 2012 – Letter Applauding the Introduction of S. 3333, the “Data Security and Breach Notification Act of 2012”
- January 30, 2012 – Letter on Comprehensive Cybersecurity Legislation
- October 27, 2011 – Letter Regarding H.R. 2577, the “SAFE Data Act”
- September 21, 2011 – Letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee Opposing S. 1535, the “Personal Data Protection and Breach Accountability Act of 2011”
- September 15, 2011 – Letter to the Senate Committee on the Judiciary Supporting Amendments to S. 1151 and S. 1408
- September 14, 2011 – Letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee Expressing Concerns with S. 1151, the “Personal Data Privacy and Security Act of 2011” and S. 1408, “the Data Breach Notification Act of 2011”
- July 20, 2011 – Letter Concerning H.R. 2577, the "Secure and Fortify Electronic Data Act"
- June 29, 2011 – Multi-Industry Letter on Changes to Privacy and Data Security Laws
Jordan Crenshaw, Assistant Counsel to Senior Vice President
Environment, Technology & Regulatory Affairs Division