Subject: USCBC Newsletter | June 17, 2021
Please join us for a conversation with Emily Mendrala, Deputy Assistant Secretary in the Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs, Mara Tekach, Coordinator for Cuban Affairs and Zack Haas, Economic Unit, Office of Cuban Affairs.
USCBC Meeting with U.S. Department of State
July 1, 2021
11:00 am to 12:00 pm ET
We encourage all members of the Council to participate in this call. We will discuss US policy towards Cuba going forward and our policy recommendations recently submitted to the US government.
This will be an off the record conversation closed to press, please RSVP no later than June 25, 2021.
Renata Brandão Vasconcellos
Executive Director, U.S.-Cuba Business Council
- On June 23, the U.N. General Assembly is scheduled to issue its yearly resolution on the necessity of ending the US embargo against Cuba. Every year, most UN members vote to oppose the embargo, except the U.S. and a few allies. The 2021 UN Secretary-General report on the Cuba resolution can be found here, including comments provided by several governments. The report does not include comments from the US government.
- The EU Parliament issued a resolution in June on the human rights and political situation in Cuba. The report can be found here.
Recent Federal Register Notices
- Determination and Certification of Countries Not Cooperating Fully With Antiterrorism Efforts (May 25)
U.S. Government Stakeholders
- OFAC Cuba Sanctions and Recent Actions
- BIS Cuba page
- State Department Travel Advisory – Cuba
- U.S. Embassy in Cuba
- CBP Cuba - Travel
- DOS Cuba Prohibited Accommodations List
Cuba Government Stakeholders
- Donation of medical supplies from Canada arrive in Holguin | Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores de Cuba (gob.cu) (June 2021)
- Cuba denounces impact of US blockade on its fight against COVID- 19 | Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores de Cuba (gob.cu) (June 2021)
What We're Reading
- Cuba suspends cash deposits in dollars citing embargo challenges (Miami Herald | June 11, 2021)
- Beyond the Embargo: The Case for an Engagement Focused US Strategy in Cuba (American Security Project | June 9, 2021)
- U.S. warns Venezuela, Cuba to turn away Iranian ships believed to be carrying arms (Politico | June 9, 2021)
- Over 100 NGOs urge Biden to follow Obama and abstain from June 23 United Nations vote condemning Cuba embargo (ACERE | June 7, 2021)
- Biden shows little desire to reverse Trump's Cuba policies (The Hill | May 31, 2021)
- Right to Live Without a Blockade (Oxfam | May 25, 2021)
- WFP Country Brief: Cuba (World Food Programme, May 2021)
1615 H Street, NW
WASHINGTON, DC, 20062, US