WASHINGTON, D.C. — At its board meeting last week, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce awarded the Accreditation designation to 17 local chambers of commerce for their sound policies, effective organizational procedures, and positive impact on their communities.
“Receiving this designation is an acknowledgement of their truly excellent work,” said Raymond P. Towle, U.S. Chamber Vice President of Federation Relations and Institute for Organization Management. “Accredited chambers are recognized for their ability to serve as a resource to their region’s businesses while maintaining transparent governance practices, sound financial controls, safe work environments, effective communications, and value in programming. They are commended for their continued advocacy of free enterprise and for this tremendous accomplishment.”
The U.S. Chamber's Accreditation Program facilitates continuing excellence in the chamber industry and fosters a pro-business environment across America. In order to receive Accreditation, a chamber must meet minimum standards in their operations and programs, including areas of governance, government affairs, communications, and technology. This extensive self-review can take 6-9 months to complete.
Local and regional chambers are rated “Accredited,” “Accredited with 3 Stars,” “Accredited with 4 Stars,” or “Accredited with 5 Stars.” State chambers are rated “Accredited State Chamber,” or “Accredited State Chamber with Distinction.” The final determination is made by the accrediting board, a committee of U.S. Chamber board members, and chamber CEOs from across the country.
The following chambers of commerce received accreditation:
Accredited with 4 Stars:
- Cedar Park Chamber of Commerce (Cedar Park, TX)
- Cleveland/Bradley Chamber of Commerce (Cleveland, TN)
- Enterprise Chamber of Commerce (Enterprise, AL)
- Rowlett Area Chamber & Visitors Center (Rowlett, TX)
Accredited with 5 Stars:
- Aiken Chamber of Commerce (Aiken, SC)
- Billings Chamber of Commerce (Billings, MT)
- Fayetteville Chamber of Commerce (Fayetteville, AR)
- Greater Conejo Valley Chamber of Commerce (Westlake Village, CA)
- Greater North Fulton Chamber (Alpharetta, GA)
- Hampton Roads Chamber (Norfolk, VA)
- Hurst Euless Bedford Chamber of Commerce (Bedford, TX)
- Licking County Chamber of Commerce (Newark, OH)
- Lynchburg Regional Business Alliance (Lynchburg, VA)
- North San Diego Business Chamber (San Diego, CA)
- Richardson Chamber of Commerce (Richardson, TX)
- Rogers-Lowell Area Chamber of Commerce (Rogers, AR)
- Toledo Regional Chamber of Commerce (Toledo, OH)