TO THE MEMBERS OF THE U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES:
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce applauds the House for considering bipartisan legislation to address the opioid crisis, which is destroying too many lives and devastating too many families.
The Chamber believes Congress should pass legislation to, among other things:
- Support community-led private public partnerships to combat addiction;
- Increase the availability of treatment options for those who are addicted;
- Prevent drug tampering and diversion;
- Encourage providers to adopt and use electronic health record technology so as to better identify those at risk of addiction;
- Encourage the inclusion of opioid addiction history in a patient’s medical records at the patient’s request; and
- Enhance integration, care coordination, and treatment options for individuals with substance use disorders after discharge.
There are many different elements that have contributed to the opioid crisis and a multipronged legislative solution is critical to resolving it. We applaud the bipartisan and thoughtful efforts to advance legislation to combat this crisis.
Neil L. Bradley