Climate Change: The Path Forward
We stand with every American seeking a cleaner, stronger environment—for today and tomorrow.
Our climate is changing and humans are contributing to these changes. Inaction is simply not an option.
Combating climate change will require citizens, government, and business to work together. American businesses play a vital role in creating innovative solutions to protect our planet.
A challenge of this magnitude requires collaboration, not confrontation, to advance the best ideas and policies. Together, we can forge solutions that improve our environment and grow our economy—leaving the world better for generations to come.
Read these first
- American Energy: Cleaner, StrongerAmerican Energy: Cleaner, Stronger promotes a national energy agenda that drives innovation, lowers emissions and fosters economic growth. As part of GEI’s new initiative, we will highlight the technologies, people and companies that make investments in our nation’s energy sector that spur continued economic growth and environmental progress.
- EnergyInnovates Event SeriesAmerica’s rise to a global energy superpower has been driven by constant advancements in technology and innovation. EnergyInnovates is a multi-platform initiative that showcases American innovators, projects and technologies that have shaped today’s energy landscape—and are laying the groundwork for the future.
- Conquering CarbonClimate change is one of the biggest challenges facing society today. And the business community is taking action to address this challenge in ways that improve environmental performance, strengthen their businesses, and meet the expectations of the communities where they operate.
The business community is investing billions of dollars to create new technologies that use less energy and make the energy we do use cleaner.
Check out the stories and videos below on American innovation in action.
Climate Leadership Highlights
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce engaged leading businesses from across the country to highlight examples of companies taking action. This collection shows some of the themes and trends emerging and demonstrates the business community’s leadership and impact related to climate.
The Path Forward
Government agencies have a critical role to play
Combating climate change requires strategic government support, including robust federal programs that help companies develop and adopt commercially viable clean energy technologies. To fuel the innovation pipeline, we must increase funding for our national laboratories and invest in the Department of Energy's Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) program.
We cannot solve this issue unilaterally. The U.S. Chamber supports U.S. participation in the Paris Agreement and is an official observer to the United Nations climate talks. We’re working with business groups and many other stakeholders around the world to ensure that the voice of business is heard on a range of issues – from technology cooperation and intellectual property to trade policy and supply chains.
As part of our ongoing dialogue with members across every industry, the U.S. Chamber has launched a Member Task Force on Climate Action to help us better understand the range of mechanisms, innovations, and internal processes that businesses are employing to tackle climate change.
- Mar 02, 2020Key Vote Letter on S. 2657, the “American Energy Innovation Act” This Key Vote Alert! letter was sent to the members of the United States Senate, supporting S. 2657, the “American Energy Innovation Act.”
- Mar 02, 2020Coalition Letter on S. 2657, the “American Energy Innovation Act” This Coalition letter was sent to the members of the United States Senate, supporting S. 2657, the “American Energy Innovation Act.”
- Oct 17, 2019U.S. Chamber Key Vote Alert! on S.J. Res. 53 This Key Vote Alert! letter was sent to the United States Senate, opposing S.J. Res. 53, which would repeal the EPA's "Affordable Clean Energy" (ACE) rule.
- Aug 30, 2019U.S. Chamber Letter on NDAA Conference Negotiations This Hill letter was sent to the House Armed Services and Senate Armed Services committees, on conference negotiations for the National Defense Authorization Act.
- Aug 26, 2019U.S. Chamber of Commerce Task Force on Climate Actions The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Task Force on Climate Actions is open to all U.S. Chamber members.
- Aug 26, 2019Durable climate policy must be made by Congress As noted in the Chamber’s Approach to Climate Change, we believe that durable climate policy must be made by Congress. We support solutions including a market-based approach to accelerate GHG emissions reductions across the U.S. economy.
- Aug 26, 2019Congress Must Take Bipartisan Action on Climate Change The Chamber works closely with our nation’s lawmakers to facilitate durable, bipartisan approaches to combating climate change.
- Jul 15, 2019U.S. Chamber Letter on Energy and Natural Resources Committee Markup This letter was sent to the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, supporting 13 bills the Committee will be marking up.
- Jun 12, 2019U.S. Chamber Letter Supporting H.R. 2313, "Water Conservation Rebate Tax Parity Act" This letter was sent to the House Committee on Ways and Means, supporting H.R. 2313, the Water Conservation Rebate Tax Parity Act.
- Apr 29, 2019U.S. Chamber Letter Supporting S. 903, "Nuclear Energy Leadership Act" This letter was sent to the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, supporting S. 903, the Nuclear Energy Leadership Act.