America Works Initiative
Helping your company and our country solve our workforce challenges.
America is facing a worker shortage crisis: There are too many open jobs without people to fill them. The result: Too many businesses can’t grow, compete, and thrive. And too many workers can't realize their American dreams.
Through the America Works Initiative, we’re helping employers across the country develop and discover talent to fill open jobs and grow our economy.
Understanding America's Labor Shortage
Understanding the Problem
Join the #AmericaWorks Conversation
Make your voice heard. Ask Congress to take action to close the skills gap, grow our country’s workforce, and keep America’s economy strong.
Resources and Guides
U.S. Chamber Foundation Programs to Help Your Company
- Develop your talent pipelineThe U.S. Chamber Foundation’s Talent Pipeline Management (TPM) helps employers partner with educators and economic development leaders to make sure future workers are learning the right skills to meet employer needs.
- Hire from the military communityThe U.S. Chamber Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes (HOH) program connects companies with military community talent through world-class hiring events and fellowship programs.
- Use data to find the perfect matchJoin the more than 500 organizations using the latest tech and data to better match people with the right jobs through the U.S. Chamber Foundation’s Jobs and Employment Data Exchange (JEDx) and T3 Innovation Network.
- Invest differently in upskilling and trainingTake a new approach to paying for education and skills training to create more opportunity, more inclusion, and more jobs with the U.S. Chamber Foundation’s Talent Finance initiative.
- Developing Essential Nursing Talent in PhoenixUsing the U.S. Chamber Foundation’s TPM strategy, the Hospital Workforce Collaborative in Arizona teamed up with local community colleges to train needed specialty nurses.
- Workforce Readiness and Reentry Program at BlackburnA unique program is creating pathways to employment for formerly incarcerated individuals in the equine industry in Kentucky using the U.S. Chamber Foundation’s TPM strategy.
- An Industry-Leading Training Model in AutomotiveUsing the U.S. Chamber Foundation’s TPM strategy, a Toyota training program is meeting industry demand for automotive technicians.
America Works Policy Priorities
We are calling on elected officials at the federal and state level to take immediate action to help address this national economic crisis.
Tell Congress: Address America’s Workforce Crisis Now
Send an email to your elected representatives today saying that you are counting on them to help more American businesses find and hire the talent they need to succeed.
Get in Touch
The U.S. Chamber is here to help. Get in touch today to learn more about our workforce programs.
- May 25, 2022Employer Guide to Second Chance Hiring Programs and Tax Credits
This guide provides detailed information on second chance hiring tax credits and programs for employers who are willing to give individuals with a criminal record an opportunity.
- May 17, 2022U.S. Chamber Letter on H.R. 7309, the “Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2022”
This Hill letter was sent to Members of the U.S. House of Representatives on H.R. 7309, the “Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2022.”
- May 16, 2022TOOTRiS Is Reimagining the Childcare Industry by Making Care Available On-Demand
The San Diego small business is connecting parents across the nation with childcare providers in real-time and partnering with businesses to give their workforce childcare options.
- Apr 28, 2022Employer Guide to Childcare Assistance and Tax Credits
This guide provides detailed information on childcare tax credits and benefits options, and gives employers four things they can do to help their employees with childcare.
- Apr 27, 2022Understanding America’s Labor Shortage: The Scarce and Costly Childcare Issue
There is a shortage of accessible and affordable childcare centers in the U.S., meaning many working parents are being left without the support system they need to go to work every day.
- Apr 27, 2022Understanding America’s Labor Shortage: Why One Million Women Are Missing from the Workforce
Contributing to the worker shortage crisis is the fact that in the wake of the pandemic there are an estimated one million women missing from the labor force compared to February 2020.
- Apr 27, 2022Data Deep Dive: A Decline of Women in the Workforce
Data show that women who left the labor force during the pandemic, often to take on childcare duties, have not yet returned.
- Mar 31, 2022Employer Roadmap: Childcare Solutions for Working Parents
Businesses have options for supporting working parents with their childcare needs. Here's how leaders can take action.