The Chamber is proud to partner with more than 500 state and local chambers, associations, and businesses across the country. Through this work, we continue to develop research and data insights, convene key stakeholders to address EOI issues, advocate and drive action to advance policies and private sector solutions, and design programs, initiatives and partnerships that address systemic inequalities and promote the promise of equal opportunity for all Americans.
Equality of Opportunity Initiative
Closing America's Opportunity Gaps
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce launched the Equality of Opportunity Initiative (EOI) to develop real, sustainable solutions to help close race-based opportunity gaps in six key areas: education, employment, entrepreneurship, criminal justice, health, and wealth.
Driven by data and informed by conversations, the EOI agenda advances these solutions through private sector initiatives, and policy advocacy at the federal, state, and local levels.
Breaking down barriers
The business community is pushing for private and public sector solutions to some of the underlying challenges driving inequality of opportunity for Black Americans and other people of color.
- United Airlines pledges to train 2,500 women and people of color as pilots by 2030Brett J. Hart, President of United Airlines, sat down with Rick Wade, the Chamber's Senior Vice President of Strategic Alliances and Outreach, to discuss the importance of this commitment and expanding diversity in the aviation industry.
- Chamber member Dr. Anton Bizzell, an accomplished physician and an inspiring community memberU.S. Chamber member Dr. Anton Bizzell is President and CEO of The Bizzell Group. He is not only an accomplished physician, but an inspiring community member helping clients build sustainable and innovative communities with wisdom, compassion, and integrity.
- Chamber member Beau Shell has been an entrepreneur since he was eightBeau Shell started his business in 2012 when he asked his parents for an ice cream cart for his eighth birthday. Now he is CEO and Owner of Lil Ice Cream Dude's Cool World Ice Cream Shop.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive the latest news, resources and event updates related to the Equality of Opportunity Initiative.
By the numbers
We compiled this research to show the magnitude of opportunity gaps in six key areas. The findings inform our work as we continue to pursue targeted, data-driven, and sustainable solutions that will help deliver the American promise of equal opportunity to all.
More from EOI
- Events and ConversationsThe event series Equality of Opportunity In Action takes deep dives on topics ranging from board diversity to supplier diversity.
- Policy AgendaDriven by data and informed by conversations with business, government, academic, and civic leaders, we developed our policy agenda to advance private sector solutions and best practices, scale impactful programs, and drive policy action at the federal, state, and local level.
- Legislation AdvocacyThe Chamber has endorsed several EOI-related bills that close the digital divide, promote investment in opportunity zones, expand the availability and quality of affordable childcare, and address other issues on our policy agenda.
Initiatives and Partnerships
- Next-Gen Business PartnershipThrough the Next-Gen program, the U.S. Chamber is working with historically black colleges and universities and minority serving institutions to expose students to new career opportunities, promote entrepreneurship, and advance diversity at all levels of business.
- Chamber and NACD Board Diversity AcceleratorThe U.S. Chamber and NACD commit to addressing the lack of board diversity by identifying, preparing, and connecting 250 Black business executives to public and private board opportunities by the end of 2022.
- Partnership with the Minority Business Development AgencyThrough our partnership with MBDA, we are working to strengthen Black-owned businesses, and we are collaborating with Skys The Limit to inspire and develop the next generation of diverse entrepreneurs.
Thank you to our corporate sponsors
- Apr 20, 2021Coalition Letter on H.R. 1277, "Improving Corporate Governance Through Diversity Act"
This Coalition letter was sent to the House Committee on Financial Services, supporting H.R. 1277, the “Improving Corporate Governance Through Diversity Act of 2021.”
- Mar 01, 2021U.S. Chamber Letter on S. 374 / H.R. 1277, the "Improving Corporate Governance Through Diversity Act"
This Hill letter was sent to the Members of the United States Congress, supporting the "Improving Corporate Governance Through Diversity Act."
- Mar 01, 2021Equality of Opportunity Legislation
Members of Congress who cosponsor these bills will receive credit for the Leadership component of their “How They Voted” rating.
- Feb 26, 2021U.S. Chamber Letter on S. 389 / H.R. 1226, the "Next Generation Entrepreneurship Corps Act"
This Hill letter was sent to the Members of the United States Congress, supporting S. 389 / H.R. 1226, the "Next Generation Entrepreneurship Corps Act."
- Feb 02, 2021U.S. Chamber of Commerce Appoints Latricia Boone Vice President as it Continues to Expand Equality of Opportunity Initiative
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Chamber of Commerce announced today that Latricia Boone has joined as Vice President to help lead the Equality of Opportunity Initiative (EOI).
- Jan 26, 2021U.S. Chamber Applauds President Biden’s Executive Order on Addressing Racial Disparities
WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Chamber Senior Vice President Rick Wade issued the following statement in response to President Biden’s executive order today on racial equity:
“The public and private sectors must join hands and work together to ensure that equality of opportunity is evident for Black Americans and other persons of color. All communities should be able to fully access the benefits and opportunities of our government.
- Jan 21, 2021U.S. Chamber Applauds Executive Order on Advancing Racial Equity
WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Chamber Senior Vice President Rick Wade issued the following statement in response to President Biden issuing an Executive order on Advancing Racial Equity and Support for Underserved Communities Through the Federal Government:
- Dec 22, 2020U.S Chamber of Commerce and Leading Business Organizations Commend Congress for Reaching Deal to Restore Pell Grants for Incarcerated Students
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and leading business organizations join in commending Congress for reaching a deal to restore Pell Grants access for incarcerated students. The deal comes after Congress banned aid for prison education systems 26 years ago.
- Dec 04, 2020Philanthropic Partnerships Power Solutions for Underserved Communities
By teaming up, businesses and nonprofits are stepping up to help communities’ most vulnerable residents.
- Dec 02, 2020U.S. Chamber Letter on S. 4873, "Reaching America's Rural Minority Businesses Act of 2020"
This Hill letter was sent to the Members of the United States Senate, supporting S. 4873, the "Reaching America's Rural Minority Businesses Act of 2020."