America Works Initiative
Helping your company and our country solve our workforce challenges.
America is facing a worker shortage crisis: There are too many open jobs without people to fill them. The result: Too many businesses can’t grow, compete, and thrive. And too many workers can't realize their American dreams.
Through the America Works Initiative, we’re helping employers across the country develop and discover talent to fill open jobs and grow our economy.
Understanding America's Labor Shortage
Understanding the Problem
Join the #AmericaWorks Conversation
Make your voice heard. Ask Congress to take action to close the skills gap, grow our country’s workforce, and keep America’s economy strong.
Resources and Guides
U.S. Chamber Foundation Programs to Help Your Company
- Develop your talent pipelineThe U.S. Chamber Foundation’s Talent Pipeline Management (TPM) helps employers partner with educators and economic development leaders to make sure future workers are learning the right skills to meet employer needs.
- Hire from the military communityThe U.S. Chamber Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes (HOH) program connects companies with military community talent through world-class hiring events and fellowship programs.
- Use data to find the perfect matchJoin the more than 500 organizations using the latest tech and data to better match people with the right jobs through the U.S. Chamber Foundation’s Jobs and Employment Data Exchange (JEDx) and T3 Innovation Network.
- Invest differently in upskilling and trainingTake a new approach to paying for education and skills training to create more opportunity, more inclusion, and more jobs with the U.S. Chamber Foundation’s Talent Finance initiative.
- Developing Essential Nursing Talent in PhoenixUsing the U.S. Chamber Foundation’s TPM strategy, the Hospital Workforce Collaborative in Arizona teamed up with local community colleges to train needed specialty nurses.
- Workforce Readiness and Reentry Program at BlackburnA unique program is creating pathways to employment for formerly incarcerated individuals in the equine industry in Kentucky using the U.S. Chamber Foundation’s TPM strategy.
- An Industry-Leading Training Model in AutomotiveUsing the U.S. Chamber Foundation’s TPM strategy, a Toyota training program is meeting industry demand for automotive technicians.
America Works Policy Priorities
We are calling on elected officials at the federal and state level to take immediate action to help address this national economic crisis.
Tell Congress: Address America’s Workforce Crisis Now
Send an email to your elected representatives today saying that you are counting on them to help more American businesses find and hire the talent they need to succeed.
Get in Touch
The U.S. Chamber is here to help. Get in touch today to learn more about our workforce programs.
- Sep 14, 2022What I’ve Learned from Working Alongside My Colleagues with Disabilities
They constantly seek out ways to perform tasks others take for granted, and their outside-the-box style of thinking is essential to improving and elevating our work.
- Sep 14, 2022Working for Companies Who Prioritize Disability Inclusion Has Made All the Difference in My Career
Employees with disabilities should seek out a company who cares about culture and inclusion. It could make all the difference in having a successful career.
- Sep 14, 2022Why My Company Prioritizes Hiring Employees with Disabilities
My strategic communications and production company Change for Balance makes hiring people with disabilities a priority—and our sauce is championing disability.
- Sep 07, 2022Understanding America’s Labor Shortage: The Most Impacted Industries
The transportation, health care and social assistance, and accommodation and food sectors have had the highest numbers of job openings.
- Sep 02, 2022America Works Data Center
Capturing the current state of the U.S. workforce.
- Aug 25, 2022Employer Guide To Tax Credits For Hiring Employees With Disabilities
Businesses that make structural adaptations or other workplace accommodations for employees with disabilities may be eligible for certain tax incentives.
- Aug 25, 2022Six Things for Employers to Consider When Hiring Individuals With Disabilities
By recruiting, hiring, and retaining those with disabilities, businesses can give themselves a competitive edge and demonstrate their commitment to inclusion.
- Aug 25, 2022Data Deep Dive: Supporting and Hiring Individuals with Disabilities and Neurodivergence
Despite ADA protections, federal tax incentives, and private sector opportunity programs, millions of individuals with disabilities looking for work remain unemployed.
- Aug 19, 2022Understanding America’s Labor Shortage
In 2021, businesses added an unprecedented 3.8 million jobs. But at the same time, workforce participation remains below pre-pandemic levels, meaning we have 3.4 million fewer Americans working today compared to February of 2020.
- Aug 02, 2022Empowering Small Business: The Impact of Technology on U.S. Small Business
Report finds that technology is a driver of economic success for small businesses and that policymakers must encourage an environment that enables all businesses to succeed with digital tools.