The Chamber is proud to partner with more than 500 state and local chambers, associations, and businesses across the country. Through this work, we continue to develop research and data insights, convene key stakeholders to address EOI issues, advocate and drive action to advance policies and private sector solutions, and design programs, initiatives and partnerships that address systemic inequalities and promote the promise of equal opportunity for all Americans.
Equality of Opportunity Initiative
Closing America's Opportunity Gaps
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce launched the Equality of Opportunity Initiative (EOI) to develop real, sustainable solutions to help close race-based opportunity gaps in six key areas: education, employment, entrepreneurship, criminal justice, health, and wealth.
Driven by data and informed by conversations, the EOI agenda advances these solutions through private sector initiatives, and policy advocacy at the federal, state, and local levels.
Breaking down barriers
The business community is pushing for private and public sector solutions to some of the underlying challenges driving inequality of opportunity for Black Americans and other people of color.
- United Airlines pledges to train 2,500 women and people of color as pilots by 2030Brett J. Hart, President of United Airlines, sat down with Rick Wade, the Chamber's Senior Vice President of Strategic Alliances and Outreach, to discuss the importance of this commitment and expanding diversity in the aviation industry.
- Chamber member Dr. Anton Bizzell, an accomplished physician and an inspiring community memberU.S. Chamber member Dr. Anton Bizzell is President and CEO of The Bizzell Group. He is not only an accomplished physician, but an inspiring community member helping clients build sustainable and innovative communities with wisdom, compassion, and integrity.
- Chamber member Beau Shell has been an entrepreneur since he was eightBeau Shell started his business in 2012 when he asked his parents for an ice cream cart for his eighth birthday. Now he is CEO and Owner of Lil Ice Cream Dude's Cool World Ice Cream Shop.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive the latest news, resources and event updates related to the Equality of Opportunity Initiative.
By the numbers
We compiled this research to show the magnitude of opportunity gaps in six key areas. The findings inform our work as we continue to pursue targeted, data-driven, and sustainable solutions that will help deliver the American promise of equal opportunity to all.
More from EOI
- Events and ConversationsThe event series Equality of Opportunity In Action takes deep dives on topics ranging from board diversity to supplier diversity.
- Policy AgendaDriven by data and informed by conversations with business, government, academic, and civic leaders, we developed our policy agenda to advance private sector solutions and best practices, scale impactful programs, and drive policy action at the federal, state, and local level.
- Legislation AdvocacyThe Chamber has endorsed several EOI-related bills that close the digital divide, promote investment in opportunity zones, expand the availability and quality of affordable childcare, and address other issues on our policy agenda.
Initiatives and Partnerships
- Next-Gen Business PartnershipThrough the Next-Gen program, the U.S. Chamber is working with historically black colleges and universities and minority serving institutions to expose students to new career opportunities, promote entrepreneurship, and advance diversity at all levels of business.
- Chamber and NACD Board Diversity AcceleratorThe U.S. Chamber and NACD commit to addressing the lack of board diversity by identifying, preparing, and connecting 250 Black business executives to public and private board opportunities by the end of 2022.
- Partnership with the Minority Business Development AgencyThrough our partnership with MBDA, we are working to strengthen Black-owned businesses, and we are collaborating with Skys The Limit to inspire and develop the next generation of diverse entrepreneurs.
Thank you to our corporate sponsors
- Oct 19, 2020The Business Case for Racial Equity
The purpose of this report is to highlight the business case for racial equity — stressing the importance of racial equity as both an imperative for social justice and a strategy for economic growth.
- Sep 08, 2020U.S. Chamber Letter on Broadband Connectivity and the Homework Gap
This Hill letter on broadband connectivity and the homework gap was sent to the Members of the United States Congress.
- Sep 03, 2020U.S. Chamber Letter on S. 3441, “Fair Hiring in Banking Act"
This Hill letter was sent to the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs, on S. 3441, the “Fair Hiring in Banking Act.”
- Aug 10, 2020U.S. Chamber to Preserve Historic Black Lives Matter Artwork in Partnership with Washington D.C.-based Institutions
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce today announced the beginning of a process to preserve the Black Lives Matter signs displayed on construction scaffolding surrounding the organization’s historic building. Situated across from Lafayette Square and currently undergoing a significant restoration, the Chamber’s headquarters has become an organic gallery for demonstrators’ messages and artwork.
- Aug 04, 2020U.S. Chamber Calls on Congress to Pass Bills to Address Race-Based Opportunity Gaps
Nation’s largest advocacy group endorses more than a dozen bills; will score lawmakers on the measures
Bills include proposals to close employment gaps, target federal support to disadvantaged communities, and improve educational opportunities for formerly incarcerated individuals
- Aug 04, 2020MetLife & U.S. Chamber Special Report on Race and Inequality on Main Street
Poll shows minority-owned small businesses harder hit by pandemic.
- Jul 27, 2020Coalition Letter on H.R. 5084, the "Improving Corporate Governance through Diversity Act of 2019"
This Coalition letter was sent to the Members of the Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship, supporting H.R. 5084, the "Improving Corporate Governance through Diversity Act of 2019."
- Jul 06, 2020Equality of Opportunity Agenda
Policy Recommendations and Private Sector Solutions to Address Gaps Negatively Affecting Black Americans
- Jun 24, 2020America’s Opportunity Gaps: By the Numbers
Systemic barriers to equality of opportunity for Black Americans and people of color.
- Jun 03, 2020U.S. Chamber Launches National Initiative to Address Inequality of Opportunity
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce today announced a national townhall on June 25th as part of an ongoing initiative to address inequality of opportunity through education, employment, entrepreneurship, and criminal justice reform.