The Chamber is proud to partner with more than 500 state and local chambers, associations, and businesses across the country. Through this work, we continue to develop research and data insights, convene key stakeholders to address EOI issues, advocate and drive action to advance policies and private sector solutions, and design programs, initiatives and partnerships that address systemic inequalities and promote the promise of equal opportunity for all Americans.
Equality of Opportunity Initiative
Closing America's Opportunity Gaps
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce launched the Equality of Opportunity Initiative (EOI) to develop real, sustainable solutions to help close race-based opportunity gaps in six key areas: education, employment, entrepreneurship, criminal justice, health, and wealth.
Driven by data and informed by conversations, the EOI agenda advances these solutions through private sector initiatives, and policy advocacy at the federal, state, and local levels.
Breaking down barriers
The business community is pushing for private and public sector solutions to some of the underlying challenges driving inequality of opportunity for Black Americans and other people of color.
- United Airlines pledges to train 2,500 women and people of color as pilots by 2030Brett J. Hart, President of United Airlines, sat down with Rick Wade, the Chamber's Senior Vice President of Strategic Alliances and Outreach, to discuss the importance of this commitment and expanding diversity in the aviation industry.
- Chamber member Dr. Anton Bizzell, an accomplished physician and an inspiring community memberU.S. Chamber member Dr. Anton Bizzell is President and CEO of The Bizzell Group. He is not only an accomplished physician, but an inspiring community member helping clients build sustainable and innovative communities with wisdom, compassion, and integrity.
- Chamber member Beau Shell has been an entrepreneur since he was eightBeau Shell started his business in 2012 when he asked his parents for an ice cream cart for his eighth birthday. Now he is CEO and Owner of Lil Ice Cream Dude's Cool World Ice Cream Shop.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive the latest news, resources and event updates related to the Equality of Opportunity Initiative.
By the numbers
We compiled this research to show the magnitude of opportunity gaps in six key areas. The findings inform our work as we continue to pursue targeted, data-driven, and sustainable solutions that will help deliver the American promise of equal opportunity to all.
More from EOI
- Events and ConversationsThe event series Equality of Opportunity In Action takes deep dives on topics ranging from board diversity to supplier diversity.
- Policy AgendaDriven by data and informed by conversations with business, government, academic, and civic leaders, we developed our policy agenda to advance private sector solutions and best practices, scale impactful programs, and drive policy action at the federal, state, and local level.
- Legislation AdvocacyThe Chamber has endorsed several EOI-related bills that close the digital divide, promote investment in opportunity zones, expand the availability and quality of affordable childcare, and address other issues on our policy agenda.
Initiatives and Partnerships
- Next-Gen Business PartnershipThrough the Next-Gen program, the U.S. Chamber is working with historically black colleges and universities and minority serving institutions to expose students to new career opportunities, promote entrepreneurship, and advance diversity at all levels of business.
- Chamber and NACD Board Diversity AcceleratorThe U.S. Chamber and NACD commit to addressing the lack of board diversity by identifying, preparing, and connecting 250 Black business executives to public and private board opportunities by the end of 2022.
- Partnership with the Minority Business Development AgencyThrough our partnership with MBDA, we are working to strengthen Black-owned businesses, and we are collaborating with Skys The Limit to inspire and develop the next generation of diverse entrepreneurs.
Thank you to our corporate sponsors
- Sep 14, 2022Why My Company Prioritizes Hiring Employees with Disabilities
My strategic communications and production company Change for Balance makes hiring people with disabilities a priority—and our sauce is championing disability.
- Jul 13, 2022Hill Letter on Donald Cravins' Nomination to be Under Secretary of the Minority Business Development Agency
This Hill letter was sent to the Members of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation, supporting the nomination of Donald Cravins, Jr., to be Under Secretary of the Minority Business Development Agency.
- Jun 30, 2022Women Taking the Lead on African Trade Policy
Women leaders should be at the forefront of discussions on trade, economic policy, and business development in Africa to ensure inclusivity.
- May 31, 2022Chef Nicole Ponseca Shares Her Experience as an AAPI Business Owner in the Restaurant Industry
We sat down with restaurateur, best-selling cookbook author, and James Beard finalist, Chef Nicole Ponseca, to discuss her experience as an AAPI business owner and the impact she wants to make as an entrepreneur.
- May 25, 2022Next-Gen Scholar Trelysa Long Shares Her Vision on Being a Future Business Leader
UC Irvine student and 2021 Next-Gen Scholar Trelysa Long says her internship played a significant role in her choice to pursue her current role as a research assistant in antitrust.
- May 25, 2022Data Deep Dive: The Workforce Impact of Second Chance Hiring
Increasing employment of millions of formerly incarcerated individuals, or those with a criminal record, would help alleviate the worker shortage crisis and create opportunities for those who need a second chance.
- May 25, 2022Employer Guide to Second Chance Hiring Programs and Tax Credits
This guide provides detailed information on second chance hiring tax credits and programs for employers who are willing to give individuals with a criminal record an opportunity.
- Mar 08, 2022Howard University Graduate Neema Mungai Shares How the Next-Gen Scholar Program Catapulted her Public Relations Career
Howard University graduate Neema Mungai shares her insights on how the U.S. Chamber's Next-Gen Scholar program prepared her for her current position working in public relations for Apple.
- Feb 24, 2022Clark Atlanta University Graduate Reana Wilson Shares Her Perspective on Being a 2021 Next-Gen Scholar
The U.S. Chamber's Next-Gen Scholar program provides competitive internship opportunities for HBCU students.
- Feb 09, 2022Congressional Testimony: How Infrastructure can Bolster Inclusive Economic Growth
Rick C. Wade, Senior Vice President of Strategic Alliances and Outreach provides Congressional testimony on connecting Americans to prosperity.