The Chamber is proud to partner with more than 500 state and local chambers, associations, and businesses across the country. Through this work, we continue to develop research and data insights, convene key stakeholders to address EOI issues, advocate and drive action to advance policies and private sector solutions, and design programs, initiatives and partnerships that address systemic inequalities and promote the promise of equal opportunity for all Americans.
Equality of Opportunity Initiative
Closing America's Opportunity Gaps
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce launched the Equality of Opportunity Initiative (EOI) to develop real, sustainable solutions to help close race-based opportunity gaps in six key areas: education, employment, entrepreneurship, criminal justice, health, and wealth.
Driven by data and informed by conversations, the EOI agenda advances these solutions through private sector initiatives, and policy advocacy at the federal, state, and local levels.
Breaking down barriers
The business community is pushing for private and public sector solutions to some of the underlying challenges driving inequality of opportunity for Black Americans and other people of color.
- United Airlines pledges to train 2,500 women and people of color as pilots by 2030Brett J. Hart, President of United Airlines, sat down with Rick Wade, the Chamber's Senior Vice President of Strategic Alliances and Outreach, to discuss the importance of this commitment and expanding diversity in the aviation industry.
- Chamber member Dr. Anton Bizzell, an accomplished physician and an inspiring community memberU.S. Chamber member Dr. Anton Bizzell is President and CEO of The Bizzell Group. He is not only an accomplished physician, but an inspiring community member helping clients build sustainable and innovative communities with wisdom, compassion, and integrity.
- Chamber member Beau Shell has been an entrepreneur since he was eightBeau Shell started his business in 2012 when he asked his parents for an ice cream cart for his eighth birthday. Now he is CEO and Owner of Lil Ice Cream Dude's Cool World Ice Cream Shop.
Sign up for updates
Sign up to receive the latest news, resources and event updates related to the Equality of Opportunity Initiative.
By the numbers
We compiled this research to show the magnitude of opportunity gaps in six key areas. The findings inform our work as we continue to pursue targeted, data-driven, and sustainable solutions that will help deliver the American promise of equal opportunity to all.
More from EOI
- Events and ConversationsThe event series Equality of Opportunity In Action takes deep dives on topics ranging from board diversity to supplier diversity.
- Policy AgendaDriven by data and informed by conversations with business, government, academic, and civic leaders, we developed our policy agenda to advance private sector solutions and best practices, scale impactful programs, and drive policy action at the federal, state, and local level.
- Legislation AdvocacyThe Chamber has endorsed several EOI-related bills that close the digital divide, promote investment in opportunity zones, expand the availability and quality of affordable childcare, and address other issues on our policy agenda.
Initiatives and Partnerships
- Next-Gen Business PartnershipThrough the Next-Gen program, the U.S. Chamber is working with historically black colleges and universities and minority serving institutions to expose students to new career opportunities, promote entrepreneurship, and advance diversity at all levels of business.
- Chamber and NACD Board Diversity AcceleratorThe U.S. Chamber and NACD commit to addressing the lack of board diversity by identifying, preparing, and connecting 250 Black business executives to public and private board opportunities by the end of 2022.
- Partnership with the Minority Business Development AgencyThrough our partnership with MBDA, we are working to strengthen Black-owned businesses, and we are collaborating with Skys The Limit to inspire and develop the next generation of diverse entrepreneurs.
Thank you to our corporate sponsors
- Jan 17, 2022Infrastructure Inclusion: A Tie That Can Bind America Together
The bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act provides a once-in-a-generation chance to close opportunity gaps that exist in our nation’s core infrastructure.
- Dec 15, 2021Improving Access to Capital for Minority-Owned Businesses
This report outlines current proposals that have been or could be introduced in policymaking channels that would help drive economic equality and create solutions that could serve as building blocks of success through improved access to capital for entrepreneurs of color.
- Nov 23, 2021How Businesses Are Helping Solve Black Unemployment
Employment levels for Black Americans are up compared to where they were at the height of the pandemic, but they still lag those of other ethnic groups. Here’s how businesses are adapting their hiring and training practices to help solve Black unemployment
- Oct 16, 2021Customer Care Center Brings Opportunity to South Side Chicago
Discover is creating a 100,000+ square foot customer care center that will provide nearly 1,000 full-time jobs for the community.
- Oct 07, 2021More than 500 Organizations have signed on as partners to the Equality of Opportunity Initiative
In June 2020, the U.S. Chamber announced the national initiative to address inequality of opportunity. Since it launched, more than 500 state and local chambers of commerce and associations have stepped up to formally join the Equality of Opportunity Initiative. The Chamber and partners are powering a nationwide effort to advance economic inclusion across our society through business leadership.
- Aug 18, 2021The Business Case for Criminal Justice Reform: Second Chance Hiring
This report explores the benefits to employers that hire formerly incarcerated individuals, identifies barriers to entry for those with criminal convictions, highlights programs and organizations working to break down these barriers, and discusses developments concerning state and federal legislation that supports second and fair chance hiring.
- Aug 02, 2021U.S. Chamber Letter on the “Driving for Opportunity Act of 2021"
This Hill letter was sent to the Members of the United States Congress on S. 998 / H.R. 2453, the “Driving for Opportunity Act of 2021.” This bill is on the Legislative Leadership list for the “How They Voted” scorecard and is part of the Equality of Opportunity Initiative.
- Aug 02, 2021U.S. Chamber Letter on S. 1749, "Reaching America's Rural Minority Businesses Act"
This Hill letter was sent to the Members of the United States Senate, supporting S. 1749, the “Reaching America's Rural Minority Businesses Act.” This bill is on the Legislative Leadership list for the “How They Voted” scorecard and is part of the Equality of Opportunity Initiative.